Friday, March 21, 2008

Gotta Love Family

It seems like I am always the last one to be informed about family events if informed at all. It has been like this even when I was younger and still lived at home. I do not know why this is, maybe it's something about my personality, I don't know.

I wasn't even informed about my sister's wedding rehearsal until the day before and I was one of the groomsmen, at least I guess that's what I was, I was never really sure. So I was not even able to be there for the rehearsal because that was hardly enough time to request the day off from work. By the way, I had never been in a wedding before so I had no clue what was going on.

Just last week I was invited over to my sister's house via text message for a birthday party that was happening the next day. I didn't even get a 24 hour notice this time, I got the message about 10 that evening. Again, not enough time to arrange to get time off of work. The message didn't even inform me of whose birthday it was, I knew it wasn't my sister's because she had just had hers the week before. It turned out it was her husband's and our uncle's birthday. It would have been nice to be there as he is an uncle I don't see that often and he almost died awhile back.

I think it was last July 4th that my family had a party. I worked early that day specifically so I can enjoy the day with family. But they decided that 3pm wasn't early enough so they decided to get together at some ridiculous time like 11am. Now my family is not one of those families that really "parties" so by the time I would've showed up everybody would've been long gone. I mean it is Independence Day! It is Summer! Get together in the afternoon and hang out for fireworks in the evening. Nope, couldn't do that or else I might have actually been able to be there.

My sister asks why I never come over. Well, it might be because when she invites me if it's not the day before it is literally like an hour before! I have a job, that doesn't work for me. Even if my job wasn't an issue, come on! Maybe I have plans??? To be fair, when she calls me to come over an hour before it is usually because they are cooking and it was just a spur of the moment invite, but still, if those are the only invites I'm getting don't be surprised when I rarely visit.

She also asks why her and her husband never come over to my house. Good question. I have invited them on numerous occasions, have even given them a weeks notice but they never show up. So after awhile you quit asking. Now, it is just an open invite, come over when and if you can and care to.

Overall though my family has been great to me. There would be something wrong if everything was perfect. But I do like to be around family and it would be nice if I was more in the loop, I mean, besides extended family there is only three of us, but I am not holding my breath. That's just how things are, I've let them know before but it always puts them on the defensive so I just leave it alone.

No comments: