Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sunday Shanninigans

I witnessed a couple of interesting things last Sunday. The first incident happened on my morning commute to work. I was on the bus, there was an elderly man in a motorized scooter up front. As the bus took a turn the man, along with scooter, fell to the floor. No one came to the man's aid except for a couple of women, one in her teens and the other a senior citizen, they were together. Now the interesting part is that this man who was obviously a Christian gentleman dressed in his Sunday best on his way to church and so was about two thirds of the rest of the passengers, many with Bible in hand. None of them and I repeat, none of them came to this man's aid...a fellow Christian. These two women? They were Muslim in complete Islamic garb. Don't get me wrong, this is not a stab at Christians, I know many good Christians that wouldn't of hesitated for a moment to leap to this man's aid, regardless of his religion. And at the same time this is not an attempt to promote Islamic ideals. However, this does go to show that you can't judge a book by it's religion so to speak.

The other incident that witnessed this day? Well, I was at a fast food restaurant and as I was waiting for my order a man and his two very young children (boy & girl) came in to order after me. The kids were both extremely dirty and looked to be a real handful for this father (who by the way was a soldier dressed in fatigues and from the bits of conversation that I caught sounded like he was about to be shipped out soon, didn't catch where exactly...has nothing to do with the story just a bit of interesting information). As this man was ordering his son was trying to climb up on the counter. The man gave him a swift slap on the butt. The boy then bent over, reached down the back of his shorts...at first I thought he was just rubbing his bottom because it hurt but no, he was digging! And he continued to dig for a good thirty seconds. He then removed his hand from his shorts, looked at his finger, which the tip was in fact brown. He then wiped it on the counter, then on his dad's uniform, then he touched all over the cup lids and straws and after they sat down was rubbing his hands all in his dad's face...pops was oblivious to what his son was doing with his hand earlier. The kid was young but he was old enough to know better. It was hard for me to eat my food because all I could think about all the things he had touched and if anything I had came into contact with any of those surfaces. Moral to the story...you never know what just happened before you got there, no matter where it's at. Nasty...

No comments: